Mr. Neil Bergman
F.R.A.C.S (Orthopaedics), F.A. Orth.A.
ORTHOPAEDIC SURGEON (HIP & KNEE)
Our aim is to make the complex routine. Every person is individual, with different problems and different needs. Life is complex. The disability of arthritis affects lives in varying ways. After 30 years specializing in complex joint replacement surgery, I understand this. We want to guide you to an improved quality of life.
Mr. Bergman is one of the most experienced and senior hip and knee replacement surgeons in Victoria. Mr. Bergman specializes in and enjoys focusing on:
- Surgical management of all types of arthritis affecting the hip and knee
- Assessment and management of failed or poorly functioning joint replacements
- Diagnosis and management of infections involving hip and knee replacements
- Primary hip and knee replacement surgery
- Complex reconstruction and more unusual primary replacements
- Surgery to revise failed hip and knee replacements
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, Melbourne University, 1978
- Guild of St Luke Prize, St Vincents Clinical School
- Residential Scholarship, Ormond College, Melbourne University
- Commonwealth Scholarship
- Fellow, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, 1986
- Fellow, Australian Orthopaedic Association, 1990
- Fellow, Alder Hey Children’s Hospital, Liverpool, 1986
- Fellow, Bristol Royal Infirmary, Bristol, 1987
- Special Fellow Adult Reconstruction, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Graduate Medical College, Rochester, Minnesota, 1988-1989
- ECFMG (USA), 1978
- VQE (USA), 1982
- Zimmer Orthopaedic Fellowship, 1987
- Graduate Australian Institute of Company Directors, 2012
- Clinical Instructor, Mayo Medical School, Minnesota, 1988-1989
- Senior Orthopaedic Surgeon Austin Health and Heidelberg Repatriation Hospital, Melbourne, 1989-2012
- Chair Medical Advisory Committee, Warringal Private Hospital, 1998-2008
- Director, Ortho Group Pty Ltd, 2010 – 2014
- Medical Director, Ortho Group Pty Ltd, 2012 – 2014
- Fellow Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Fellow Australian Orthopaedic Association
- Founding Member of the Arthroplasty Society of Australia
- Australian Orthopaedic Association National Joint Replacement Registry Committee, member
- Chair, Orthopaedic Craft Group, Warringal Private Hospital, Heidelberg
- Donor Tissue Bank of Victoria, board member
- Senior Fellow in Orthopaedics, University of Melbourne
- Member, Mayo Medical Alumnus Association
- International Member, American Association orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member, Australian Medical Association
- Warringal Private Hospital – full admitting privileges
216, Burgundy St, Heidelberg, 3084
On site, multi level ticketed car park. Entry alongside Warringal Medical Centre, off service road.
Full intensive care and cardiac/vascular catheter facilities, 24 hour resident doctor coverage.
- Austin Health – honorary senior orthopaedic surgeon
- Supervisor, Post Graduate Fellowship in Adult Reconstruction and Joint Replacement Surgery, Warringal Private Hospital, Heidelberg
- Course convener and lecturer in ‘Joints’ for Victorian AOA Registrar Training Programme
- Visiting Professor, Tasmanian Branch, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Annual Scientific Meeting, Port Arthur, October 1995
- Visiting Professor, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Chiang Ya Hospital, Changsha, Hunan Province, Peoples Republic of China, October 1997. 3 days.
- Course coordinator and lecturer, Victorian Orthopaedic Association Training Programme: “Joint Replacement” 1995-current.
- Visiting lecturer in Diploma Orthopaedic Nursing, Victoria University of Technology. 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997.
- Visiting Professor, Northern India Division, Indian Orthopaedic Association ASM, knee replacement instructional course and keynote speaker, February 2000. Ludhiana University Medical College, Ludhiana, Punjab, India.
- Guest lecturer, Stryker China Hip and Knee Arthroplasty Course, Xian, Nov 2002.
- Leader, Project China Delegation, RACS, to Tongji Hospital, HUST, Wuhan, Hubei Provence, PR China. April 2003.
- Guest lecturer, Taiwanese Orthopaedic Association Scientific Meeting, April 25, 26 2004, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Lecturer and Instructor, Knee and Hip Navigation Cadaveric Courses for Stryker 2004 – 2006.
- Lecturer and Instructor on TMARS Course, Asia Pacific Orthopaedic Society, Bangkok, June 2007.
- Guest Lecturer, Ranawat Orthopaedic Centre (ROC) Annual Course in Hip and Knee Arthroplasty, Delhi, India, February 2008.
- Invited speaker, Scorpio Update Course, Brisbane, July 2009.
- Lecturer and instructor, TMARS course, Sydney, August 2009.
- Invited lecturer, Geelong Orthopaedic Society Annual Scientific Meeting, Geelong,20 -21st November 2009.
- Visiting Professor, Perugia University June 2010
- Invited Lecturer at 110-year celebration, Department Orthopaedic Surgery, Tongi Hospital, Wuhan, Hubei Provence, PR China. October 2010
- Invited lecturer at Navigation Users Group, Auckland, 2nd July 2011
- Guest Professor Ziv Medical Centre, Zefat, Israel, June 20th 2012.
- Invited lecturer:
- Australian Association Infectious Disease Specialists 2013
- Australian Rheumatology Association 2014
- International Congress Joint Reconstruction 2016
- Bergman N R and Vellar I D A
Potential life threatening variations in drug concentration in intravenous infusions.
Med J Aust, 2:270-272. 1982.
- Bergman NR, Williams PF.
Habitual dislocation of the patella in flexion.
J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1988 May;70(3):415-9.
- Bergman N R and Rand J A
Results of cemented total knee arthroplasty. In Joint Replacement Surgery edited by B F Morrey, Churchill Livingstone, 1991.
Rehabilitation following hip and knee replacement in Basic Science for Surgeons.
- Bergman NR, Rand JA.
Total knee arthroplasty in osteonecrosis.
Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1991 Dec;(273):77-82.
- Kiffer JD, Quong G, Bergman NR, Lawlor M, Schumer W, Aitken L, Wallace A.
The utility of the Philips SRI-100 Real Time Portal Imaging Device in a case of postoperative irradiation for prevention of heterotopic bone formation following total hip replacement.
Australas Radiol. 1994 Nov;38(4):342-4.
- Bergman NR and Young DA
The rationale, short term outcome and early complications of a ceramic couple in total hip arthroplasty.
In Reliability and long-term results of ceramics in orthopaedics. Edited by L Sedel and G Willmann, Thieme. 1999
- Krishna Lingaraj, Neil Bergman and Yee Hong Teo
The management of severe acetabular bone defects in revision hip surgery using modular porous metal components
J Bone Joint Surg (Br) 2009 Dec;91(12):1555-60.
- Levinger P, Menz HB, Wee E, Feller JA, Bartlett JR, Bergman NR.
Physiological risk factors for falls in people with knee osteoarthritis before and early after knee replacement surgery.
Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2011 Jul;19(7):1082-9.
- Levinger P, Menz HB, Fotoohabadi MR, Feller JA, Bartlett JR, Bergman NR.
Foot posture in people with medial compartment knee osteoarthritis.
J Foot Ankle Res. 2010 Dec 16;3:29. doi: 10.1186/1757-1146-3-29.
- Levinger P, Caldow MK, Feller JA, Bartlett JR, Bergman NR, McKenna MJ, Cameron-Smith D, Levinger I.
Association between skeletal muscle inflammatory markers and walking pattern in people with knee osteoarthritis.
Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2011 Dec;63(12):1715-21.
- Levinger P, Lai DT, Menz HB, Morrow AD, Feller JA, Bartlett JR, Bergman NR, Begg R.
Swing limb mechanics and minimum toe clearance in people with knee osteoarthritis.
Gait Posture. 2012 Feb;35(2):277-81.
- Levinger P, Menz HB, Morrow AD, Bartlett JR, Feller JA, Fotoohabadi MR, Bergman NR.
Dynamic foot function changes following total knee replacement surgery.
Knee. 2012 Dec;19(6):880-5.
- Levinger P, Menz HB, Morrow AD, Feller JA, Bartlett JR, Bergman NR.
Foot kinematics in people with medial compartment knee osteoarthritis.
Rheumatology (Oxford). 2012 Dec;51(12):2191-8.
- Levinger P, Menz HB, Morrow AD, Feller JA, Bartlett JR, Bergman NR.
Lower limb biomechanics in individuals with knee osteoarthritis before and after total knee arthroplasty surgery.
J Arthroplasty. 2013 Jun;28(6):994-9.
- Levinger P, Menz HB, Morrow AD, Bartlett JR, Feller JA, Bergman NR.
Relationship between foot function and medial knee joint loading in people with medial compartment knee osteoarthritis.
J Foot Ankle Res. 2013 Aug 8;6(1):33.
- Perry BD, Levinger P, Serpiello FR, Caldow MK, Cameron-Smith D, Bartlett JR, Feller JA, Bergman NR, Levinger I, McKenna MJ.
The effects of osteoarthritis and age on skeletal muscle strength, Na+-K+-ATPase content, gene and isoform expression.
J Appl Physiol (1985). 2013 Nov;115(10):1443-9.
- Pre-operative predictors of post-operative falls in people undergoing total hip and knee replacement surgery: a prospective study
- 'Total knee arthroplasty in osteonecrosis'.
At the International Knee Society Meeting, Toronto, June 1991.
- ‘Early Experience of the Donor Tissue Bank of Victoria - a regional Bone bank.’
At the Annual Scientific Meeting of the Australian Orthopaedic Association, Adelaide, October 1993.
- ‘Undetected OSA Following Total Hip Replacement’
At the Australian Orthopaedic Associaton Annual Scientific Meeting, Hobart, October 2008.
- ‘Two Stage Uncemented Revision Hip Arthroplasty for Infection- a prospective study’
British Orthopaedic Association ASM, Manchester, September 2009
Level 3, Warringal Medical Centre
214 Burgundy Street
Heidelberg, VIC 3084